There are several grants open to sporting clubs usually ranging from $1,000- $7,500 for training and development or up to $35,000 for larger projects, equipment and infrastructure. Other opportunities include subsidies for larger projects that do require a contribution from the applicant organisation.
To have improve chances of success clubs need to be prepared ahead of time; that is, know what they need, the cost of the project and the urgency of the need. This is done through following the simple steps outlined below:
Step 1: Identify projects, things you wish to seek funding for.
This is best done by holding a planning meeting that includes all stakeholders.
Make sure you minute the meeting and record the projects identified.
Step 2: Categorise the Projects.
Training and Education, Participation, Facility Development, Meeting member needs, Legislative/Organisation requirements, etc.
Step 3: Prioritise the projects.
Are they High need – e.g. Safety, to meet members’ needs, part of long term plan, strengthening club diversity etc.
Step 4: Develop Project Plan
This does not need to be too formal but you will need to know:
- What needs to be done.
- How will it be done.
- Who will carry out the work.
- How much will it cost.
- How long will it take to complete.
- Do you need/have planning permission
Step 5: Benefits Statement
You need to know:
- Who will it benefit from the project.
- Will it improve member services.
- Will it attract new members.
- Is it a safety or organisational requirement.
Step 6: Supporting Documentation.
Most funding applications need supporting documentation, these will usually include:
- Copy of your incorporation Certificate
- Details of your committee
- Costs of project and/or quotes
- Letters of Support including State/Zone/Other Clubs Local Government
- Proof of tenure; eg Lease etc
- Planning Approval if indicated
Step 7: Identify Funding Sources and relevant Dates
This can be done by:
- Searching: https://www.communitygrants.gov.au/grants
- Registering on both:
- NPSR Grants Portal: https://portal.enquire.net.au/portal/srp/dashboard.htm#organisationRegister:ixd=8TzhMM&id=0
- Gambling Community Benefit Fund: https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/hospitality…gaming/community-benefit-fund
Not all programs are suited however:
- Qld Government NPSR services,
- Gambling Community Benefit Fund,
- DSS Volunteer Small Equipment Grants
- Various Local Government Programs often address Club project requirements.
Step 8: Read the Funding Guidelines of potential sport and recreation funding programs.
This will assist with identifying which program is most suited to your particular needs.
Step 9: Seek assistance if needed.
Learn more about Sport & Recreation Qld Grants & Funding.